I am excited about the summer. Who wouldn’t be? Especially when Morocco is back on the cards!
This year has been a tough one, as I was diagnosed with a form of frontal lobe epilepsy (Secondary to a Cavrnoma) and had to take some time off work to rest. I was told that I was not allowed to drive as a result and have had to trial some medication. Now I am back fighting fit and medically cleared to travel. I just can’t wait to get back on the road!
This summer, my plans include Inter-railing in Eastern Europe – particularly Turkey and Bulgaria. However, a fantastic surprise came my way, when I was invited to stay at the wonderful Dar Rita in Ouazarzate, Morocco by fellow travel blogger Joao of Nomad Revelations. Perhaps my summer needs to start there! 😉
This offer is perfect for me, as I actually spent 6 weeks in Morocco when I was just 18. Morocco will always hold a special place in my heart, because it was the first place where I properly went travelling and backpacking.
What I love about Morocco!
I love everything about Morocco. I love the people. I love the Islamic culture. I love the Atlas Mountains and the stunning views that they provide. I also love the fact that I can practice my French!
Memories of Morocco 1998 with BSES
Planning a return trip to Morocco really got me thinking way back to when I first started my travels on the Morocco ’98 Expedition with BSES. Here are a few things that happened….
- I woke up one day with a frog on my head.
- I slept on a mountain under the stars in a thunderstorm in the Atlas Mountains.
- I lost my sandle in the bottom of a gorge!
- I stayed with a Berber family in Tafroute.
- I traded tins of sardines for biscuits in the Sahara Desert!
- My friend slept on a snake and squashed it flat.
- Someone tried to buy me for 3 camels, my friend offered me to him for just 3 chickens!
- I learnt important lessons about team work and the kind of travel that suited me.
- I missed stuffed crust pizza – a lot!
I am going to be flight hacking with Ryanair to get the best price to fly from London (Stansted) to Marrakesh, the capital of Morocco. I will spend some time in a hostel there, before travelling by along the Tichka Pass from Marrakesh to Ouazarzate, where I will be staying with Joao and blogging about his fabulous hotel.
Hotels in Marrakesh on booking.com
Any Tips for Morocco?
I fly to Morocco on 24th July, and until then I will be based in the UK. If you have any tips on Morocco to share, please comment below – I’m sure that place has changed a lot in all these years!
You might also like to read the articles I wrote from Morocco after this trip…